are you sure this is a fashion magazine?
After my boy-toy came home last week with a selection of my ever-favorite magazines under his arm, I've been leafing through the pages of the October 2006 issue of Toronto Fashion - or Fashion Magazine, or whatever they are calling themselves now.
A number of months ago, Ceri Marsh made the executive decision to take Toronto Fashion, Montreal Fashion, and Vancouver Fashion, and merge them into one magazine - one magazine that I am not interested in reading. The first issue was interesting, and an interesting look at what is happening in the fashion scene across Canada. But in however long it has been since this merge occurred, something else has happened to this magazine.
Whether they are attempting to compete with the increasingly-popular shopping magazines, or just trying to differentiate themselves in a sea of ... themselves ... Fashion Magazine has gone from being about FASHION to being about SHOPPING.
Leah Rumack, the Toronto 'City Editor', has touted the magnificence of Zola Shoes so many times in the past six months that I'm looking for somewhere else to shop. I suppose one successful aspect of this new formatting is that I now know that 'Misch' is where to find Nicolas K in Vancouver - but I've never been to Vancouver.
The Fashion Magazine that I knew, loved and was devoted to was about Fashion, with a capital F. Pictures of shapeless racks of clothing wouldn't have cut it, and a gorgeous spread like 'Spellbound' would have been front and center - not shrouded by such a sales pitch as 'While in Newfoundland the FASHION crew stayed at Hometel on Signal Hill'.
Let's face it - if you have to ask where to buy Missoni, you probably can't afford it in the first place.
My suggestion - if anyone is listening - would be to revert, and revert fast!
A feature entitled 'The Ultimate Jean Guide' should be about different styles of jeans and how they fit different body types - not about where you can buy a certain style, right? Besides, this merging of Marie-Claire advice and Vogue fashion pictorials isn't really kosher with how the fashion world works.
If you really want to discuss where to buy Jean Paul Gaultier, torture me once or twice a year - a seasonal shopping guide would more than please the masses, and maybe in that time Leah Rumack can discover one of the darling Toronto shoe boutiques that aren't named 'Zola'.
(One I hit 'publish', I'm going to hibernate with the new 'W' - at least they haven't lost touch with the industry)
A number of months ago, Ceri Marsh made the executive decision to take Toronto Fashion, Montreal Fashion, and Vancouver Fashion, and merge them into one magazine - one magazine that I am not interested in reading. The first issue was interesting, and an interesting look at what is happening in the fashion scene across Canada. But in however long it has been since this merge occurred, something else has happened to this magazine.
Whether they are attempting to compete with the increasingly-popular shopping magazines, or just trying to differentiate themselves in a sea of ... themselves ... Fashion Magazine has gone from being about FASHION to being about SHOPPING.
Leah Rumack, the Toronto 'City Editor', has touted the magnificence of Zola Shoes so many times in the past six months that I'm looking for somewhere else to shop. I suppose one successful aspect of this new formatting is that I now know that 'Misch' is where to find Nicolas K in Vancouver - but I've never been to Vancouver.
The Fashion Magazine that I knew, loved and was devoted to was about Fashion, with a capital F. Pictures of shapeless racks of clothing wouldn't have cut it, and a gorgeous spread like 'Spellbound' would have been front and center - not shrouded by such a sales pitch as 'While in Newfoundland the FASHION crew stayed at Hometel on Signal Hill'.
Let's face it - if you have to ask where to buy Missoni, you probably can't afford it in the first place.
My suggestion - if anyone is listening - would be to revert, and revert fast!
A feature entitled 'The Ultimate Jean Guide' should be about different styles of jeans and how they fit different body types - not about where you can buy a certain style, right? Besides, this merging of Marie-Claire advice and Vogue fashion pictorials isn't really kosher with how the fashion world works.
If you really want to discuss where to buy Jean Paul Gaultier, torture me once or twice a year - a seasonal shopping guide would more than please the masses, and maybe in that time Leah Rumack can discover one of the darling Toronto shoe boutiques that aren't named 'Zola'.
(One I hit 'publish', I'm going to hibernate with the new 'W' - at least they haven't lost touch with the industry)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home